Memories of Gold -Home

Page 53

Upside of Rock n Roll -Home

Our first live dates on the East coast

   From Feb.14th thru Mar. 8th, 1969, we performed our first shows in the Eastern states. We flew from Sacramento to Boston and had a connecting flight through Chicago. While there, I sent my mother a postcard, which I recently found in a book of pictures and memorobilia that she had saved all these years. You can tell from my words how excited I was. I had to laugh when I saw the "1¢ postage due" stamped on it. Typical of "any mother's son." Come to think of it, can you remember the last post card you mailed for only 6¢ postage?


   In Boston, we played a place called "The Ark." We had been booked there by a young lady named Amy Tossi, who became a good friend. A few years ago, I received a note backstage from her. Unfortunately, she didn't leave an email address or anyway of saying "hi."

    My next clear memory is of the Grandee Ballroom in Detroit. This place was a "sweat box," but a neat venue. A lot of good bands played there. You'd only get about 2 songs into your set and would be soaked from the lack of air conditioning. This was only late February, but it was miserable in that place. Still, it gave you the "James Brown, hardest working man in show biz" effect, really well. A little perspiration on stage, funny as it may sound, ALWAYS seems to add some validity to a band putting on a performance. This was rock. We loved it.

    Later, during my first trip to Manhattan, NY, we played at a happening club called "The Scene"(Steve Paul's Scene) that was becoming famous. Jim Morrison had his big drunk confrontation (with Hendrix) there. Jimi jammed there many nights. A small club, but very popular in those days. Greenspoon and I have stories from this first time in the city that shall remain untold, at least in my account. Don't ask.

   Then we went to Philadelphia to play The Electric Factory. A cool venue and a gig we enjoyed. On the other hand, show me a gig we didn't enjoy. A great tour and things were beginning to roll. All we had to do was rock. We could do that ... and DID. Playing in this band is like playing poker, while sitting on a pat hand with a straight flush. You try to keep your cool and not get obnoxious, because you know what you've got up your sleeve is a killer. We just tried to keep our cool about it and not put anybody "off" with an attitude of getting "full" of ourselves. Does that sound a little cocky and pompous? Sorry, but I love my band. We just couldn't wait to get after it. We were having the best time of our lives.

   Before I go any further I would like to give credit to our first road crew guy, Skip Bennet. Skip worked completely by himself and did it all. A real trouper and loyal as could be. I have looked and looked for a picture of him, but unfortunately, the only one I could come up with is one that only shows half of his face. Guess what? I'm putting it in here anyway. Skip, if you're out there and DO have a photo of yourself from the old days, get in touch with me by e-mail or something. I'll put it in here. For now, here's the only picture I have of Skip.



3 Dog Night's first roadie.

Next Page